Children caring for children

Children caring for children
Abba... Heavenly Father to the fatherless

Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 5: New Year

Two devotional verses for this morning....

Revealed:
May you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. Ephesians 3:18 (NLT)

Back to the Bible
So it was, when the days of feasting had run their course, that Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, "It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts." Thus Job did regularly. Job 1:5

Yesterday was a bit testy...I found times I was frustrated and short with those around me. We had invited, at the last minute, a few friends over for New Year's Eve. I started cooking and straightening up...frustrated at the pace of family members around me. I had to actually stop and correct my attitude in mid gate and ask for forgiveness. The front of the house (the rest is still in chaos!) was set...the snacks and beverages were out. Whew...all ready!

Many chose to stay home with family and not venture out for the evening. I recall saying to myself....that's what I'm doing next year...just our family. Not because I didn't want to see my friends, but because our children will soon be returning to their lives at school and I'm just grieving that a bit. Mike leaves in less than 24 hours. Bec still has a 2 weeks. I thought, "Next year it is just about us." But wait...the rest of the "us" were out and didn't want to be home with this part of "us." And, we had a wonderful evening. We had a couple here we have never really just shared one on one time with. That was wonderful to check in with them and hear what is going on in their lives. I was so glad they came by. And then a long time friend that has had a straining past two years to say the least. I often think we are his "safe place," his place to go for spiritual encouragement. He hasn't stopped by in a very long time. The first couple were leaving and he arrived. God timing I would say.

What's the point?

It's hard being a mom of young adult children. I want them close and to be intimately involved in their lives. As they should, they want to be independent and moving away. In September I set my phone alarm for 4:00 p.m. Why? It's my prompt in the middle of the day to pray for my children and other young adults I am close to. Job 1:5 talks about the purpose of this. To intercede on behalf of my adult children. Honestly, there are times I hit the dismiss...mumble a quick bless them...and then move on with my day. Then there are times I earnestly pray for them. Knowing specific challenges they are facing...but also not knowing and pleading with the Holy Spirit to intercede on their behalf. I desire for them to know God's deep love as described in Ephesians 3:18 and need to be praying they will discover that for themselves.

The whole New Year's Eve thing... Looking for God's purpose and not mine. To be able to sacrificially give my time...back to the beginning of this journey....my ability to have people in our home, hospitality. The Ephesians verse..."The power to understand..." so that I can be available to show people the depth of God's love.

Lord,
In this new year help me to continually bring my children before you in prayer. Work in their lives according to your will and what you need to do to develop their relationship with you.
In this new year I bring you my heart's desire to understand how wide, long, high and deep your love really is for my family, myself, and those I have the privilege to see everyday. Teach me about your heart, Father, for your purpose as I draw nearer to your heart in 2010.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...