Children caring for children

Children caring for children
Abba... Heavenly Father to the fatherless

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 4: Reflection and Anticipation ~ The Weaving of Lives

New Years Eve....the sense of a new year, a new beginning. We are hopeful that this will be the year of ..... and we could fill in so many blanks. We look back at the past year and reflect. Time that is now history. Last year this time we were anticipating the wedding of James and Kelsey. Wondering if Becca was going to return to Liberty the next year, not realizing that Michael was on the cuff of beginning his first long term relationship ~ we didn't even know Tracy existed nor that she is such a wonderful young lady. I was relieved that I had passed the Final Defense of my dissertation and was now..."Dr. Warren" ~ oh so scary~ but didn't know what that would in all reality mean...if anything.

The comforting part is the Lord knew it all. He is faithful and has brought us through a financially tough year. We have been blessed!

I wonder, who will God weave into our lives this coming year? Yesterday I spent time with someone I met in South Africa. Carol opened her home to me when I arrived a day before the rest of the mission team I was traveling with. Have you ever met someone and almost instantly there was a heart bond and you "just clicked"? That's what happened almost two years ago. She is back in the states now and by God's design she is ministering right here in Norfolk. I helped her a bit by cleaning the bathroom in her new home. We both know it is God that brought us together two years ago and again now. I have been praying for a woman in ministry that I could share my ideas with, find encouragement and accountability. I didn't know I would meet her on another continent and God would place us within 20 minutes of each each other. Coincidence? No, I say it is the Mighty Hand of my God! Weaving our lives together.

I have another friendship that has developed this year. After casual conversations Judi and I realized our growing up years and lives had followed similar patterns. Often I think I'm too busy to begin new friendships...don't have the time to invest....that's what I tell myself. The fact is it takes time and effort to develop Godly friendships. Well, I am so thankful I made the effort and realized that God was weaving our lives together a purpose.

An acquaintance of many years has developed into a friendship without the sport that brought us together. Nicole is a blessing in her friendship. She is the one that checks in on me and blesses me with her caring and honesty. God began to weave this together over 10 years ago.

Through our daughters Jackie and I have grown together. The Lord knew as a parents of college athletes we would need one another!

And of course my sister...Donna...amazing how our life experiences undergird one another. She is the one I go to with absolutley full exposure...no masks...hiding nothing...as ugly as it may be. Blood sisters couldn't be closer.

But what about the New Year? Who will God weave into our lives? Most importantly, how will he use us to bring others closer to him? How will he use others to bring us closer to him? What challenges will we face that will require the love and prayers of those closest to us?

The only thing that I can trust is my God and based on his unchanging character there is nothing in this new year that he won't help us to walk through. Sure we have dreams, hopes and desires. But my greatest hope is that this time next year I will look back and say, that was the year I strengthened by ability to draw near to my God's heart. That was the year I was able to bless someone because of what God has done and is doing in my life.

Scripture for the day:
Proverbs 8:35–36 (ESV)
35 For whoever finds me finds life
and obtains favor from the Lord,
36 but he who fails to find me injures himself;
all who hate me love death.”

Lord, help me to help others find you and life this coming year. Your heart beat is for those that don't have a close and lasting relationship with you. As my heart grows to be more in tune with yours, I pray for the ability to be there for those that so need you. May my spiritual eyes see your hand at work as you weave my life with others.

I know you will walk with my family and I praise you for that. Keep them close to you.
Thank you for all you have done this past year. I pray for a grateful heart and ask forgiveness for a lazy, unthankful, heart.

I adore you Abba,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...