Children caring for children

Children caring for children
Abba... Heavenly Father to the fatherless

Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 15: Chastening? Enjoy discipline?

Back to the Bible

Job 5:17
"Behold, happy is the man whom God corrects; therefore do not despise the chastening of the Almighty."


There are not many occasions that I can recall where I was "happy" with discipline or chastening at the moment it was occurring. I call them "spiritual spankings" and I know when they are occurring, but I don't like them. As with any good parent God will correct me to bring me back into line with what he desires and what is best for me in the long run. Like any child I have the choice to learn from the correction and alter my behavior or continue in disobedience and do what I want to do.

It is frightening to know that God loves me enough to allow me to continue to ignore the correction and go my own way. He will allow me to choose the path of destruction. I am not his robot. I am his child with a free will. It is so important that I respond correctly to my Abba's chastening in order to walk in the direction He desires for my life.

Lord,

There have been times that I didn't see the correction or that I choose to ignore the correction. I want to thank you for the correction. For loving me enough to discipline me and steer me in the direction you would have me to go. Help me Father to understand your heart so well that I recognize and understand the corrections you place in my life. That my heart is broken in response to my disobedience to you.

Help me to be the type of parent to my children that you are to me. To establish and administer discipline with the sole purpose of leading them in your direction. Even as adults, help me to do my part when necessary.

I thank you for Jesus, who gave his life on the cross, took the ultimate discipline for me. Bring my mind back to this picture when I am whining about the chastening and correction you bring into my life.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...