Children caring for children

Children caring for children
Abba... Heavenly Father to the fatherless

Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 52: The Blessing of Adequate

Back to the Bible


Then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, "Get away from here and turn eastward, and hide by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan. And it will be that you shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there." So he went and did according to the word of the Lord, for he went and stayed by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan. 1 Kings 17:2-5

God shows up in ways we can't imagine nor anticipate. The prophet had spoken out to the King and had to escape for his life. Now usually when I think of someone being obedient and doing what God commands my mind doesn't flow to the point of running for one's life. But when you study the Old and New Testaments you see people dying in obedience, suffering intense hardship. But in my own "comfy" world I don't usually have to face those challenges.

Still, however, God cares about what I do face. Right now is a difficult time for us. As sure as we see God's hand of mercy and blessing, we see the fight of Satan desiring to steal and destroy the joy of the Lord within us. Actually, life is hard for so many of us. We live in a world that is sinful and suffer the consequences of human error. We shouldn't anticipate smooth going.

But what is my reaction when I am facing those difficult times? I know my God is faithful. I know my God stands with us. I know my God is in the future. I know my God keeps his promises. I know my God cares. I know my God listens. I know my God....and that is my hope.

Elijah didn't anticipate that God would use Ravens, wild birds, to provide good for him. But God did. Right there beside the river God used creation to take care of his servant. What is God using to take care of the Warren family? As we look to the horizon, may we look for God's provision and not for despair.

Lord, we are your faithful servants. Listening for the whisper of your voice to move or to stay. Anticipating where you will lead our family and how you will care for us. I can't imagine the future with out the children close...they aren't children any more though are they? They are young adults moving into their own lives. Still, I can't imagine not being able to be there with hours. I can't imagine not having the friend support and the church support. If I let my selfish mind run I can't imagine what it will be like to be a missionary and totally surrender all that I know now for what I don't know about our future.

Father, I have to go back to what I do know...I know you are faithful. I know you care and you provide. I know you are worthy of any sacrifice I could make. I know people will live in an eternity apart from you if someone doesn't tell them. I know I would rather be living in obedience to you and experiencing the human sacrifice that will take, then to be in denial of your calling and live comfortably in disobedience.

I will choose to faithfully look to the horizon and see the adequate blessings the ravens may bring.

Thank you for walking with us through difficulty. Providing for us in lean times. Comforting our fears. Giving us wonderful children...all four of them!

You are worthy,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...