Children caring for children

Children caring for children
Abba... Heavenly Father to the fatherless

Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 86: "Focus" Like My Daughter


Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. Psalm 103:2


I have so much to learn from my daughter.


True confession today.
The Lord has been working with my spirit all night....

A Great friend sent me a text last night to tell me God news regarding her daughter, a teammate of my daughter. We were rejoicing in God's amazing outcome and answer to our prayers.


Today is the first day back on the court for the girls. I know the hard work they are facing. I know how hard my daughter works, fights her own pain to push forward, the leader and encourager she is to her teammates. I know how she encourages and demonstrates teachability, respect, determination. I also know she is concerned about her physical condition after being on mission trip and then a knee injury following that. I want to swoop in and make it all right! I don't want her to endure feeling less then the top of her game. I want to think she only hears encouragement as she is working so hard and making a contribution to this team.
I want...I want...I want... and so quickly I am back on the roller coaster ride of emotional up and downs associated with being the parent of a collegiate athlete. I am leaving the Lord's desires and promises behind to run ahead...I loose my spiritual focus.


My friend typed powerful words to me..."Becca will see so many benefits from the time she has spent on this team. She will get a better job because of what she has learned and will be an amazing coach because of it. Hard to see it now but it will happen. God will be pleased with her and bless her through this."


Oh she is so right! I lost focus. Even for a short 15 minutes. I lost the focus. God used the late night text conversation to also remind me of this verse:


Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thought. Psalm 139:23


Ok, I get it...this is yet another one of my battle grounds ... my anxious thought. God is caring for and molding Bec for life beyond college! God loves her and this has been an amazing growing time for her. She sees His benefits. She wouldn't trade it for anything!
I cried two weeks ago when I looked at her mission trip pictures. I realized how God was using all she has gone through to create his workmanship...to glorify Him. On the mission field she was energetic, focused, confident of God's presence, determined, and a leader.


"Focus, Debbie, focus." I hear my Abba say, "Focus on me and don't forget all My benefits. I am focusing on Bec. This is between she and me and I've got it covered!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...