Children caring for children

Children caring for children
Abba... Heavenly Father to the fatherless

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 122: The Difference

Prayer and intercession instead of fretting and worry. Very different outcomes!

This is what I posted on my Facebook wall.  It surprised me how many people responded in some fashion to the phrase.  But I shouldn't be surprised. It came as the outcome of a struggle I was having.  I was frustrated that I continued to think about a person and pray for them.  It was strange as I found myself praying more for this individual then my own child.

At one point I was so frustrated with myself, at my tears that wouldn't go away. Throughout the day...tears.  I was crying again but this time I began crying out to the Lord to take the burden away if I was just obsessing.  I was missing them in our families life;  I knew they were struggling spiritually; yet, I knew God was at work and this was His best. I was questioning my own motives. Was I just trying to manipulate the Lord into giving me what I thought was best? Was I reacting to the heart break of my own child? Was I just being sappy? What was going on?  Then I heard the whisper..."You are not needlessly burdened. You are interceding on his behalf."   Exhale. Calm. Peace. Understanding.

I continued to pray as I moved through my days. Then a few days later I received information that helped me to more fully understand the necessity of prayer in his life.

Prayer can be a burden. I awoke early this morning with the spiritual nudge to pray for him. Psalms 30, 33. I gathered my Bible and began to sit in my chair..."No get on the floor" came the whisper.  I sat on the floor in front of the couch, Bible open to the Psalm...head on my open Bible as I began to read and pray the Psalms. I ended on Psalm 34.

I prayed this for him, "When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears, and rescues them from all their troubles."  Psalm 34:17

The Lord heard me. The Lord will hear him as he prays.

The difference between prayer and intercession compared to fretting and worry. The Lord's actions. Very different outcomes! I don't know what the Lord's outcome will be...but I know that he is good. I know that my prayers can help fight the spiritual battles.  I know the Lord rescues. 

The difference is the outcome- nothing vs rescue. I choose prayer without ceasing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...