Children caring for children

Children caring for children
Abba... Heavenly Father to the fatherless

Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 138: Adonai ~ LORD

The old song, Adonai, adonai....is running through my mind. The sound of the word is soft and tender...almost a whisper in my mind. Jesus is my master...he takes care of me...I obey...as Master there are responsibilities..the shelter, food, clothing, care of. As his servant there are responsibilities...obedience, submission to his will.

Now great multitudes were going along with Him; and he turned and said to them, "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.  Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My Disciple.                        Luke 14:25-27

What a high price...hate is a strong word and seems to go against what numerous scriptures teach. So I did some digging and this is what I discovered:

  • "What anyone who studies the verse should quickly discover, however, is that the word translated “hate” does not always mean “to despise, detest, loathe, and abhor,” which are synonymous with the general use of the word “hate” in our modern culture. Instead, the word also can include the meaning “to love less.”  Source: http://www.apologeticspress.org
Now that makes sense to me. To call my Jesus, "LORD" is to say I love all things less then you...Jesus doesn't say "hate them" he says love me more! If I am your LORD...you must lay down whatever it is that you love and love me more.

So what is it that I must love less...it was obvious as I read this passage and realized what my cross was to carry.... In going to Africa in 12 months I struggle with leaving the children here.  They are all young adults and will be employed, launched into the life God has prepared them for.  I don't struggle that they will need mommy and she not be there in the same way I struggled with being a working mom and leaving them.  I just ache because my heart wants to hear them, see them, be a part of their days and lives. Get that hug and see their smile.  I have to love them less then I love Christ. Realize as their Adonai he loves them more then I ever could.   My heart must love Christ more then my children and it is out of this love for my Adonai that I pick up my cross...the pain of separation...and walk forward.

Adonai,
I love you more. Adonai, I need your help in picking up this cross.
Amen









No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...